Based on continuous feedback from its customers, Adira is delivering innovative, customized and cost-effective solutions for sustainable metal sheet cutting and forming, along all stages and needs of our customers, offering standards of competitiveness at global level. The company designs, develops, manufactures, installs, and services machine tools for more than 55 years.
Key success factors
- Permanent investment in scientific research and technological development to supply the best solutions to our customers.
- Cooperation with Universities and renowned Research Labs.
- Quality, precision and reliability of our solutions.
- Maximum performance of our products.
- Readiness and effectiveness of the after-sales service.
- Exporting to more than 40 countries worldwide.
- The biggest manufacturer with the biggest market share in Portugal.
- Production is split in 2 production plants with 15.000 sqm.
Since its foundation, ADIRA’s route is one of constant development and technological progress. Highlights of the company's history:
ADIRA was founded in 1956 by António Dias Ramos, in Porto in the house seen in the picture. The company started its activities in a small shop of about 400 sqm and only 5 workers. At the beginning, it produced small lathes, planers and milling machines.
ADIRA evolved towards the manufacture of sheet metal forming machines with the following milestones:
- First mechanical guillotine shear manufactured in Portugal (1961).
- First hydraulic press brake manufactured in Portugal(1964).
- Creation of the Engineering office (1966).
- Start of exports (1967).
- First fully hydraulic downstroke press brake (1969).
Development and technological improvement of the machinery under the point of view of mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and electronic equipment.
- Start of the partnership with the Engineering Faculty of the Porto University.
- Launch of the first CNC digital control made in Portugal.
- Development of the first hydraulic press brake with electronic synchronism and digital control.
- Start of exports to Japan.
The era of digitization and exports on a large scale.
- Development of the first graphical controls in 2D and 3D.
- Start of exports to US, Australia and Middle East.
- Certification of safety of the machines exported to Sweden and France.
- First steps in automation: frontal feeders, systems for handling and storage of sheet plates.
Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems and CE safety certification.
- Investment project in modernization and innovation: high-tech equipment, renewal of layouts, new internal organization.
- Introduction of new IT technologies: CAD, CAM, Intranet.
- First European manufacturer to obtain ISO 9000 certification and the first in world to have its entire range of products with the CE certification.
- Press brakes with automatic compensation of deflection.
- Shears with anti-twisting system.
In the new millennium ADIRA launches in the market the brand-new Laser cutting machines, robots and automated systems and thereby consolidates the international presence.
- Introduction of the CCL laser cutting machines.
- Use of linear motors and laser resonators.
- Expansion of robotic bending cells.
- Integration of automatic storage systems for sheet plates.
- Opening of the first foreign subsidiaries: ADIRA France and ADIRA UK.
ADIRA enters the new decade continuing its firm commitment to innovation.
The ADIRA Company is also adapting to the new realities of the global market, strongly expanding its activities in the emerging markets, while strengthening its presence in its traditional markets.
- Debut of the new family of laser cutting machines: LE, LP, LF.
- Debut of the GreenBender, a revolutionary hybrid press brake, already recognized internationally.
The commitment of ADIRA to innovation and continuous improvement is a permanent challenge of all its departments, products and activities. Our Engineering Department is closely linked to Universities and Development Institutes (University of Porto, MIT, INEGI, INESC) in a network of knowledge transfer, taking advantage of the most advanced developments. Also Safety, Ergonomics, Efficiency, Design are permanently on our requirements list for all our machines. For all those reasons we are proud to have a new subtitle in our logo: "Innovation Works".
in our catalog